
Come, stand with me, by the sea.
Hold my hand and be as me.
Be one, as we.
Be we, as one.
Come, stand with me, by the sea.
Billy B Cook
I worked on the North Olympic Hiking Trail yesterday, they are building a new section of it just West of town. There were six of us in the crew, four very nice women and us two cranky guys. Na, it was a great crew, I’m not cranky all the time, I just do some venting on my blog.
We went for a walk during the lunch break as one couple there had a geo-cache in the area, if you know what a geo-cache is. It had some cool things in it and a visitors book to sign and make remarks in. It’s been found by a number of people that looked up the location on the Internet and looked for it when they were in this area.
Building a new trail through a forest is hard work, working two four to six hour days a week most weeks it takes about a year to build a mile of trail that is three feet wide and cleared for another few feet on each side. You have to remove all the brush and vegetation, roots, stumps, rocks, and the topsoil down to mineral earth. Sometimes the topsoil is over a foot deep.
But we had a good time working, talking, and farting together. Yes, country girls fart without embarrassment. And that begs a question. If the Christians God was so smart when he created them, why do they fart? And leak, and have birth defects and such. Fight and kill each other. What a stupid god *rolls eyes* And I whistle tunes some as I work. I didn’t notice that my glasses had slipped out of my pocket and I stepped on them so had to do without until I got back home.
Over ninety percent of the trail has been built by volunteers, it has been a huge effort, a lot of it is ten feet wide and paved, I’ve worked on it off and on ever since moving here. Never underestimate the power of a volunteer. They don’t do things for gain and recognition and wealth, they do things because they need to be done. The volunteer work I have done through my life has been some of the most important work I have ever done in my life. Well, I think so anyway. What volunteer work do you do?
Hey, have a great day, hugs…. BBC

12 comments:
I don't think I'm smart enough to write a good poem. I just typed the words as they flowed through me from the cosmos.
BBC,
I've been so tied up with my own stuff, I didn't know you were back on the blog. Good to hear from you again.
eye C Alistar's comment got 2 U! I worked with a guy (Paul Kuhn) who volunteered on paths in Washington for at least 3 decades now and liked it so much he bought acres in Belingham to free his attraction to driven Bay-Area women. The weather makes that land so beautiful, but people do get into their over-cast side (and web-footed)
I should spend more time doing exactly that, instead of wasting time lamenting not having enough time to 'volunteer' and doing more things just for the sake of doing things
Paul Kuhn, that name sounds familiar.
Glad to hear you survived your Dick Cheney school of auto repair experience, BBC! Okay, so that wasn't you. But anyhow, with folks like that around in your neighborhood (which is why I thought of you when I read the story, the guy was almost your neighbor!), it is clear why this country has failed to meet its own stated moral guidelines, to the point where you find grown men actually arguing about whether torture is good or not. WTF?
I keep threatening to head for Canada, which has problems of its own but at least is halfway sane. If a Canadian politician seriously proposed that torture was anything other than abhorent, evil, and unlawful under all international treaties and conventions, said politician would end up run out of town by irate citizens bearing, uhm, probably tea and crumpets, Canadians being much too polite for that whole tar and feather thing. But anyhow...
I'm a Pagan activist.
I volunteer my time and intelligence to the South African Pagan Rights Alliance.
One has to choose one's battles wisely in this world- I choose to stand up for Pagan rights and dignity, including but not limited to fair dealing in the workplace.
I'm off to do battle this morning, excuse me.
Love,
Terri in Joburg
I do a lot of voluntary work with children and adults with learning disabilities and their parents.
I beg to differ that God created birth defects. Man created their own mess via prescriptions and birth control and all sorts of other garbage that affects us on a daily basis.
My question is why did God create people who are so quick to blame Him for everything, and so quick to absolve themselves of any involvement in their own predicaments?
Who said that God created birth defects? I sure didn't. The great cosmic spirit wants no human part of it to be that way in human form.
The great spirit will in time fix that mess through medical science.
God didn't create the mess on this planet either, people playing with their brains create many of the problems in mankind, many of them because of their stupid biblical Gods.
Great poem!
It's noticeable that you do lots of good deeds and that's a good thing.
Since I ran the kitchen for a catering business...I'd occasionally make large sheet cakes for friends to take to their church functions.
I also ordered 50# sacks of flour and rice once or twice a month...along with some large cans (dented) for a woman that went into Mexico regularly with clothes for poor children. Some off dated stuff that was still perfectly good to serve. Kids need to eat!
Post a Comment