Saturday, November 24, 2007

Yes, I can be a clown

Moi, yours truly here, at 3:00 AM.

Writing is an interesting thing to me, I write a lot, a whole lot. Not so much because I want to, I have other things that I would rather be doing. I write because I'm driven too, or maybe I should say because the cosmos pushes me too. I have lots to post, but will just post a trucking story today.

So I once drove for a trucking company that had satellite tracking, they could look at a computer and see where I was and which direction I was going, and how fast I was going (I always stuck with the speed limits), things like that. And there was a monitor and a keyboard in the truck and they could send me messages and dispatches. The first rule was, “Don’t type while you are driving.” Ha, ha, ha, I liked to pitch shit on them, I used to drive race cars and I can drive a truck at 60 mph and type at the same time and still be plenty safe.

They would send me a message and I would read it and reply as I drove along. They would get on me, I would tell them to fuck off. LOL.. I’m 1500 hundred miles away from the terminal, how in the hell can they fire me? They needed me a lot worse than I needed them. I loved telling them what a bunch of idiots they were and they still wouldn’t fire me, I was good at what I did, and pretty entertaining at times, and they wanted to keep me. I ended up quitting because I get tired of working for idiots.

Jobs have always been a dime a dozen for me, I’m good at the things I do and I have never been out of work except by choice. So one day I’m driving along on a long quite stretch of highway toward a delivery a 1000 miles away and I’m getting bored so I grab the keyboard and type, “Oh Fuck !! Now I’m in really deep shit.” A few minutes later I get a message back of deep concern wondering what the problem is.

I reply back with something like, “I got thirsty a few hundred miles back and stopped and bought a twelve pack of beer and now I’m frigging loopy as hell and want to go to bed, I don’t think I will get this load there on time. BTW, where am I and where am I going?” I had slowed down to 40 miles an hour so that they could see that I was driving 40 on a 60 mile an hour highway. Boy, did I get them going. LOL…. They didn’t give a shit that I was drunk they just wanted to make sure the load was there on time. They shot back with the suggestion that I stop and get some very strong coffee to keep me going. Right, what we need on the highways is a bunch of wide-awake drunks.

I shot back with, “Hey, I’m just kidding, you dumb fucks.” Yeah, I loved driving a satellite equipped truck.

*Sharing all that is in my mind*

Hey, have a great day, hugs…. BBC

12 comments:

BBC said...

Some drivers didn't like satellite equipped trucks as they felt like they were being watched all the time.

But it didn't bother me a bit, I simply didn't care that they could tell where I was at and if I was moving or not.

I did what I wanted to do and got my loads delivered on time, and I did it my way. And they knew that I was going to do it my way.

They didn't try to tell me what highways or routes to use, they knew that it wouldn't do them any good.

Even though I pitched some crap on them at times they liked me. Go figure.

BBC said...

I print all my blog posts and take them next door for Helen to read. She likes stories of my adventures like this.

Anonymous said...

I had the same experience when I worked for the Forest Service making contract maps with a GPS recorder. My boss would tell me every now and again that I had to watch what I did with that thing because he could see it in the file afterwards; trying to be all serious. I always laughed at him and reminded him that I made him look better than he would look all on his own.

BBC said...

It's going on toward noon here, I'm going to the war protest that is held each Saturday.

C ya later.

BBC said...

Craig Andrew is in Oxford Connecticut.

I don't recall if I have been there or not. Bridgeport, Hew Haven, Waterbury, Hartford, I have at least driven through those cities.

I picked up a load of flashlight battery cases in that state once and took it to South Carolina as I recall.

And another time I took a load of beer can lids from there to Houston, Texas.

I don't recall how many beer can lids you can put in a 48 foot trailer but it's a heck of a lot of them.

Somewhere around a half a million.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose", right?:) "Just get the load there" has killed many people, as over tired, over drugged drivers did what they were told - almost.

BBC said...

TFWY.....Yes, I've driven some 22 hour days. Driven over a thousand miles a day back when the speed limit was only 55 mph. Gone way over my legal hours for driving according to my log books.

And without drugs as I don't do drugs. Actually, really long trips are not all that hard on a person, well me anyway.

What I found really hard was days when I dropped a load in the morning, waited for them to unload it, drove a hundred miles or so to another load it and waited for them to load it as I had to be awake all those hours.

And if it was a load only going five hundred miles or so the company wanted it there overnight, ignoring the fact that that I had driven through the night before and dealt with drops and pickups all day long.

I hated short hauls with a passion. Short hauls of under 500 hundred or a 1000 miles need their rest.

But give me one good nights sleep and a load going a couple of thousand miles and I was up to it as long as I could do it my way.

But maybe that is just me. I've driven both long and short hauls and I will take long hauls any day of the week.

I can work a 22 hour day long haul, but not short hauls. Give me a load in Little Rock on a Friday at noon and I will put it in Portland Monday morning.

But for some reason I hated the over nighters after working all day long as there was no room for planing.

It's just pure luck that I didn't kill someone, or myself. After an old lady in Idaho dynamited her brakes one morning in front of me because a couple of dogs ran out of the ditch I quit trucking.

I managed to just squeeze by her while dynamiteing my own brakes and swinging around her into oncoming traffic and trying to leave them some room.

I miss judged it just a bit and my trailer tires clipped her rear bumper. Okay, so that wasn't the end of the world, she wasn't hurt at all and her car had little damage.

At the time I was pulling a flat bed trailer and had a load of steel building components on it and when I hit my breaks some of them got loose and hit my 'bang board' and my moves over the next few seconds determined who was going to live and who wasn't.

Well, no one died that day in that mess, not even the dogs. I had to had to have a forklift come out and adjust my load so that I could continue on and I did make the delivery in time.

But that was pretty much the end of my trucking days, I just couldn't take responsibility for others lives anymore, I stopped trucking not long after that.

Hey, was this a long comment or what?

The Future Was Yesterday said...

I used to operate the overhead crane that loaded 2" bar steel on flat beds. I'd look for the guy snoring in his cab....and bump that ole steel against the trailer bang plate to square it off....:)

QUASAR9 said...

lol,
well you are clearly looking tired

QUASAR9 said...

I'd hate to see you on a really bad hair day, or bump into you on a bad night

cher said...

lmao....now this is the bbc i have come to know and love! atta boy!

soulbrush said...

now this is a sexy picture....