During my second day of camping I woke up to rain and it rained off and on most of the day. Thanks to the city dude lending me some poles the stuff on the picnic table was staying dry but a towel I use in the tent for a mat and some other cloths wasn’t getting dry. I could sit under the table tarp and enjoy the campfire but it wasn’t quite close enough to dry things so I decided to rig another old tarp I had with me over the fire.
So I use a stick to prop up the cooking grate on the fire pit so that it can help support the tarp on one side and I start trying to figure out how to tie it to other things to hold it over the fire some. It keeps trying to fall into the fire and destroy itself and maybe burn the whole campground up but I managed to get it rigged up with out burning anything up. Then I leaned a pole on the top of the grate to hang things on to dry.
About fifteen minutes later a DNR ‘campground cop’ walks into my site and my first thought was “Great, he will make me take the tarp down.” But Mike was a very nice young man and asked me how it was going. I said something like “Okay, I’m just an old country hick trying to dry some things here.” He smiled and we talked for about ten minutes, I told him about the picnic idiots and the fire they had going, and I gave him one of my cards.
As he got ready to leave he said to be careful not to burn the tarp up, I replied with “It’s no big deal, it’s an old tarp.” He laughed and told me to have a good evening. The next day I figured out how to rig the tarp in a better way so that I could sit under it also. You can see the tarp in the picture posted in the “Camping story #2” post.
The vice president of the local chapter of The Insane Chicks Society called me yesterday morning, you know, the crazy chick that I like, maybe for some stupid reason. But even stupid reasons can be valid if everything aligns right in the cosmos. She had bought a bed from a lady that I already know and she wanted to know if I would go pick it up and take it to her home and set it up, and then help her burn a brush pile.
Being as I’m always willing to make a fool of myself over crazy chicks to see if I can get one on my spiritual journey I agreed to do that for her. She wasn’t home when I got to her place but the door wasn’t locked so I went in and swiped everything of interest to me. Just kidding, I’m trying to get rid of stuff, not get more stuff.
I packed the bed into the house *groan* because I had a few hard jobs this week and my back is sore and when she gets home about an hour later I pack it upstairs and then we discuss my making a closet in her bedroom. WTF? This bedroom has not got a closet in it, since when do they make bedrooms without closets in them?
Anyfuckingway, we went out and burnt the pile of brush and talked a lot and blew soap bubbles. I’ll go back up next week and install a TV antenna for her.
Boy, it’s hard to believe that I made it to 64 years, should idiots be allowed to live that long? I might even last another year, time will tell. Have a great day, hugs…. BBC
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm thinking about going camping on the 4th of July. When I was young and ignorant I enjoyed fireworks but now all the noise bothers me.
They drive a lot of dogs, cats, horses and other critters nuts.
I think personal fireworks should be outlawed and people should go watch the public ones.
Then they won't disturb me at midnight, I'm disturbed enough already. LOL
Yup, maybe I'll head to the national park for the night, it's less than ten miles to a campsite there.
Ha ! Look at todays Arlo and Janis cartoon.
Gee, I wish I had a neighbour like you.. hell, I'll even buy the house for 'ya!
Hi, I came by from Shrink's blog.
Got my interest when you said you would mention her in your writing.
I enjoyed your camping story. Brings back memories of in a big tent. None of those popup things nor trailers for us.
Fitting for me to visit here today of all days! Being smack dab in the middle of the year. (wink)
Post a Comment