Monday, April 16, 2007

An adventure

Anything I do, I try to make an adventure out of it. We have curbside residential garbage pickup service here, most places do these days I think. But they don’t take some things so we have to take other stuff to the landfill and it’s expensive to do that. Anything I take to a landfill is pure junk, not any good for anything else. And the once a year load for five dollars is a great deal. What I took this year was mostly scraps left over from tearing campers apart, appliances, old carpeting and such.

So I put a pretty flat thousand pound load together, cut up and smashed most items other than the stove out of my current camper project, didn’t have time to reduce its size, and topped it off with a 66 El Camino canopy that Rick wanted to get rid of.

This is a popular day and opens a 9:00 and I like to be there early so that I’m not too far back in line. Sunday morning I filled my big truckers cup with coffee, grabbed a pee can, the Sunday paper and left my place at 7:30. Helen likes to ride along and we swung through the Mc Donalds drive through for four sausage biscuits and was there at 7:50.

This early still put us down the line at load number twenty-nine. No problem, had breakfast and read the paper and walked up and down the line looking at others loads. Boy, what some people throw away, I wanted to take some of it back home to recycle in better ways. Once they open it goes pretty fast, I had the metals in two different layers so I went to that area first and took off the top area, then to the pure junk area to remove that stuff and then back to the metal area. But we where empty and leaving at 9:40, not bad.

They have new scales with an outside readout, so the pickup with a full tank of gas weighs 3860 pounds with my 165 pounds in it. Then I came home and changed the oil and filter on the pickup and took a little nap before going to the beer church to watch some of the Nascar race.

But Bob and Anne are getting a divorce and being snots to each other but she was finely able to get her belongings out of his house yesterday at 2:00 so I went over too see if she needed any help. Bob had most of her stuff out on the curb already and there was about six pickups there so as soon as the cop got there to make sure they where good to each other we started loading. That woman has way too much stuff, I wonder why people think stuff will make them happy. Ann can be fun but I wouldn’t think of trying a relationship with her, she is as crazy as hell and too needy.

When I got home I went next door and mowed Helen’s front yard and part of the back, George came by and paid me some money he owed me and I showed him what I’ve done to the trailer so far. He liked it. So it was a pretty busy and interesting day for me and the place is just a bit tidier.

The point I was trying to make to Davo in the “Monkey Relocated” post comments is that the world is larger than the opinions of a wandering old drunk that has never had sense enough to acquire a bit of his own property so he could have a bit of a secure place for his retirement. I do enjoy reading his mutterings and journey though.

I’m losing faith in humanity, one person at a time. But hey, have a nice day. BBC

5 comments:

BBC said...

Vincent, no, I didn't loan Kirsten money, I sent her money with no obligation to repay. I don't do loans much anymore but just help others if I can.

It's no big deal, she is just a fruitcake and can put all the curses on me she likes.

BBC said...

As for curbside garbage pickup. Helen and I share one sixty gallon container that gets picked up once a month, at about fifteen bucks a month it's reasonable, we just don't make a lot of household garbage.

none said...

I have to pay for garbage pickup whether I use it or not it's on my water bill.

Good thing is they come twice a week and I can load them down with all the shit that nobody in my house will miss.

Getting in pissing matches with people isn't much fun, I quit trying to out pee other kids in third grade, I got tired of wet shoes lol.

BBC said...

We could get weekly pickup, but it costs more and we don't need it.

dawn said...

Man, you've been busy the last few days , Glad the squatter problem is over. I wish I could clean out my apt and take to the landfill. My husband has a habit of bringing home other peoples junk(ie - broken bicycles, fish tanks(4), camping equip, you get the idea)The problem is he never has time to fix anything and they pile up. I sometimes can get sneaky and throw out stuff but eventually he notices. I call this a sickness. I guess you guys didn't get any rain like us, your lucky
hugs