I have a metal lathe out in the shop that comes in handy when I’m inventing things. Not that I’m a great machinist, but I get by making the things I need to make.And sometimes I just like to knock out something like this. This is a toothpick cup that I just made for one of the ladies at the bank. One of a kind, I never make two of a kind. It’s made from a branch of my apple tree that I trimmed back big time last year.
All the woods I make into toothpick cups have a meaning to me even if they don’t to anyone else.
At five inches tall it’s the tallest one I’ve ever made, and I didn’t stain it so that the natural wood stands out. It looks easy but it takes me about two or three hours to carve and put the finish on one. Click on the picture to make it bigger of course. BBC

12 comments:
That is SO pretty!
I'll trade you a quilt for 2 candleholders and a toothpick thingy...
(Takes me about 3 months to do a quilt, working an hour a day on it.)
I've never made candle holders, Sewmouse. I don't think they should be made out of wood.
I don't need a quilt but I will make you a toothpick holder. It just might be a while before I do it though.
.. .. ...
Dupa Jasia.....
No shit?
Really nice work BBC. You do have a soft side to ya. What else do you carve and how did you start
Dawn, I mostly just make those for women that I like. I've turned a few other things but not many.
I've done wood working ever since I was a kid, but mostly building things, like homes and such.
I have lots of soft sides, I just fucking don't like humanity. LOL
Shit!! That, and you, are 'choice' - which in NZ means really cool, clever and talented!!
Awesome.....like that side of you =)
I never thought I would drool over a toothpick cup, but I have to tell you this is awesome.
Hi Billy....I love your work...and so wonderful that you made it from a branch from your apple tree...what a meaningful gesture to the women at the bank...
I wish I had a lathe...I have to ask my Dad if he still has his...would be interesting to try something new...
I did have fun working with some wood stumps and a chain saw one year...I carved some faces and I have one in my garden right now...
I knew you were an artist!!! I just knew it!
Cheers,
Diana
"I mostly just make those for women that I like". Yes, there is only one woman in my life. She makes sure of that. For example a certain someone that I knew before her rang up drunk at 2.30am - she works in a bar - and made some interesting suggestions, which I was foolish enough to tell the One. So now we can't go to the birthday BBQ of this dear friend because the One sees her as a rival. Oh well. Anyhow, the One has only to ask for a spice shelf, or an effective extractor fan for the cooker, & various other things which I work out in advance, and there it is, my priority. But I have never turned wood on a lathe or any of that stuff.
Post a Comment