Tuesday, April 08, 2008

New framing


Let’s just stick to human monkey stuff today. Debra Kay, the reason I’m interested in heating with wood pellets is because if burned properly they are energy efficient and less polluting than burning firewood. And the price is right in this area. But I don’t want to spend well over a thousand dollars for a high tech stove to burn them in. It requires electricity to run them and they are complex with electronic control boards and such and I like simple things that work well.

I have owned one pellet stove, but it was pretty much junk so I didn’t use it long. The factory gave me a new ‘improved’ model but I wasn’t impressed with it either. And my place is small, the store bought stoves would be overkill. I’ve been doing some research and may try some things on my own, I have all the tools and equipment to do that with.

As for just building a fire, I do that some times. But it bothers me at times that I’m adding to the pollution.

Anyway, about the pictures. I mentioned recently that I had bought a combination brad nailer and staple gun. A cheap one, just 20 bucks, but it will drive a 2 inch brad and a 1 ½ inch staple, this is very handy for some of my building and restoration projects.

I’m currently putting new framing in the overhang of the camper, the berth area. Using thin galvanized mental plates (on both sides), the staple gun allows me to create nice strong joints without dowels or complex joints. Being a cheap gun it wasn’t working quite right but I tore it apart four or five times until I got it working to my standards.

I don’t often ask other monkeys to help when working on projects, the other monkeys are busy doing other monkey stuff and many things I do could use an extra hand or two, like when I was working on getting the separated skin on the camper back together. Over the years I’ve learned a lot about getting things done alone. I needed to push the front back some to get it to reach the other skin, to get and hold it in the proper place while I worked to getting the two pieces mated back together. Mated, my mind just wandered, ha, ha, ha.

I also recently bought some clamps that not only clamp but can be converted to spread things, like the legs of virgins, ha, ha, ha. That isn’t a pretty picture and is cluttered, like my mind, but it does illustrate my solution. I backed my pickup toward the front of the camper and used a couple of pieces of 2X4’s set behind the hitch ball so I had a support to push from. Then I used a piece of ¾ inch PVC pipe over the spreader bar to push against a short 2X4 on the face of the overhang.

Bored yet? There was also a vertical 2X4 (I added a yellow line to it to help you identify it) going to the ground that was holding a horizontal board (blue) to keep the lower sheet in place. This is better than getting another monkey to help because they will stay in place for as long as I need them to without complaining like monkeys do, in this case about an hour while I got the metal straightened and folded back over.

I’ve worked with some monkeys that were good craftsman and understood what I was doing and didn’t question me and just helped with no problems, but I’ve worked with plenty that I wished were somewhere else. I started building a garage for a man a few years ago, he had hired me and a lady monkey to build it. She decided that she was the project boss, I didn’t care, she could be the boss if she wanted to.

But I couldn’t work with her, she hadn’t been a carpenter for long and her ways were different than mine, and she wasn’t worth a damn at communicating to me what she was expecting me to do. The cement floor and foundation was already there, I had done it a few weeks before we started the building. I worked with her about three days and we had a large part of the framing done and the side panels on when I got tired of her being short with me so I told her too take a flying fuck and went home.

She complained to the man about me and tried to make it sound like I was an idiot but I had completed many projects for him over a number of years so he knew it wasn’t me.

The man hired another helper for her and she was putting roof truss’s up and doing it wrong when the owner pointed it out. She got in a pissing contest with him and got her ass fired. He called me and I went back and finished the job. Just one of my many experiences on this silly planet.

Ever been fired from a job? I have a few times, when I couldn’t get the boss properly trained. LOL No big deal, I just went on to other things, there are always other things to do that suits me. I don’t understand people that stay at jobs they are not happy with. It’s never bothered me to leave a job I was not enjoying, but I’m a free spirit and need no one else’s so called job or security.

Yesterday I went into the computer shop I bought my new computer from. The same shop that I also signed up for my high speed Internet ISP through. I was just looking for a little help getting the new cable modem that I got off of Yahoo Freecycle working, I’m sure that I have to give the computer a little information about it. Type in some code or address or something.

I got stuck talking to a monkey that I’ve talked to a few other times because the monkey I wanted to talk to was on the phone. I tell him that I have another brand of cable modem that I want to use so I can return the one I’m paying rent for to Wavecable but it won’t work. He starts talking down to me, told me that I didn’t have a cable modem. Hey, I’m not a fucking computer geek, I’m willing to admit that I don’t know as much about them as I once did because I got tired of trying to keep up with it all.

BUT I FUCKING KNOW WHAT A CABLE MODEM IS !!! I just wanted some help getting it working. He pitched some other shit on me and I said right in front of the other customers there, “I don’t like talking to you, I like talking to that guy because he is always more helpful than you are.” I figured that all the monkeys there needed to hear that. And then I walked out of the fucking store, fuck him, I’ll figure out to get it working, that is what I have a brain for. I can rebuild an automatic transmission, I’ve rebuilt hundreds of them, I can figure out how to get a fucking cable modem working, it’s just easier if you have some helpful advice.

I posted something interesting on my other blog this morning. FRANKENKINDER

Hey, have a great day, simply and peacefully, hugs…. BBC

17 comments:

BBC said...

5 Kinds of Sex

1) The first is Smurf Sex. This happens during the honeymoon period; you both keep doing it until you're blue in the face.

2) The second is Kitchen Sex. This is at the beginning of the marriage; you'll have sex anywhere, anytime, even in the kitchen.

3) The third kind is Bedroom Sex. You've calmed down a bit, perhaps have kids, so you gotta do it in the bedroom.

4) The fourth kind is Hallway Sex. This is the phase in which you pass each other in the hallway and say, "Fuck you!"

5) There is also a fifth kind of sex: Courtroom Sex. This is when you get divorced and your wife screws you in front of everyone in the courtroom.

BBC said...

Two small boys, not yet old enough to be in school, were overheard talking at the zoo one day.
"My name is Billy. What's yours?" asked the first boy.
"Tommy," replied the second.
"My Daddy`s an accountant. What does your Daddy do for a living?" asked Billy.
Tommy replied, "My Daddy`s a lawyer."
"Honest?" asked Billy.
"No, just the regular kind," replied Tommy.

billy pilgrim said...

a free modem, you get what you pay for.

BBC said...

Good morning, Billy P. No, it is a new modem, had never been used. But it's a different brand than the one I'm using. I'm sure it's just a matter of setting it up properly.

Not all free things are junk, I've passed on many good things through Yahoo Freecycle. And received some good things.

Jon said...

smurf sex eh... there was only one female smurf (Smurfet) and all those other male smurfs... i wondered back in my cartoon days... how it is that smurfs reproduced... who am i kidding... i'm still in my cartoon days and that one still boggles my mind... perhaps they are asexual... spores or something... greater minds than my own should tackle this... have a good one BBC

Debra Kay said...

Ok, monkey stuff-I have a brad nailer gun too because I don't like to hammer. I have a table saw, a jig saw and a sander. Don't know how to use any of it, but I'm going to learn. I bought it when I moved back to OKC so that Dad and I could do something together but he's 81 and doesn't want to do that stuff any more.

I was going to just sell it, but I was out looking at it and thought, shit, this looks kind of fun.

Daddy doesn't say a lot any more since he broke the chain saw doing what he told me he was worried I would do. I never said anything about it-I'm learning to keep my mouth shut about stuff that really doesn't matter.

I got a gas stove that doesn't require electricity for power outages next winter. This winter cost me a lot, and I'm learning to listen to myself about things I think I know more about than other people. I'm mean, shit, if YOU don't value your own opinion, who will?

Freecycle pisses me OFF. I like the concept, I really do. But a lot of the people just want the stuff to resell, OK, I don't care what they do with it. But when they come up with a sob story and whine and complain and ask me to deliver it...that's a little much. The bowling ball was the breaking point. "I can't walk right now, but I sure want it"...ok greedy lady, if you can't walk, why not let someone else have it who could actually use it?
So now I call around to relatives first, the DAV next (they will pick up your stuff) and curb the stuff that isn't worth giving to the thrift store. Same deal with purses-shit if I wanted to answer 35 questions I'd put it on ebay and sell it myself.

BBC said...

There are some free loaders on Freecycle. And I got on one lady that was picky, picky, picky. I told her that it wasn't her fucking shopping network.

She started whining about how she was raised poor, big deal, so was I, and I haven't tried to make up for it as an adult. All I have is all I need.

zirelda said...

It should be a matter of setting the cable modem up properly. I do that often for folks on my after work gigs. If it has a GUI interface it will have an address that you can type in the browser and set up from there. I'm assuming you don't have a manual or you would already have it done. Then again, some cable modems are not compatible with certain cable companies. There should be a list of what will work with your ISP.

BBC said...

It may not work with my ISP, that is true, the girl in the office said it would but I think she didn't really know.

I'll check their website help files.

Karen said...

"heating with wood pellets is because if burned properly they are energy efficient and less polluting than burning firewood."

Everyone should be into energy efficiency. I commend you!

FOUR DINNERS said...

I'm still at stage three more by luck than judgement. Do for me.

Had a few jobs I didn't like so I left. Can't fathom people staying if they hate it.

Unknown said...

Hi Billy...love it...especially you in that Computer Shop...and telling that guy ...that you don't like talking to him...priceless...love it when people say what they're thinking...and this will help that monkey learn to be more helpful...

have a wonderful day!!!

Cheers,
Diana

Löst Jimmy said...

i'm around been busy and with not much to say

hope your day is going good bill

BBC said...

The man at the computer shop may be a good computer tech, I don't know. But he needs to stay away from the customer service desk.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

"wood pellets is because if burned properly they are energy efficient and less polluting"
I think compressed sawdust "bricks" do also, and don't require such a complicated stove.

"Ever been fired from a job?"
Five times from the SAME one count?:)

The Future Was Yesterday said...

"wood pellets is because if burned properly they are energy efficient and less polluting"
I think compressed sawdust "bricks" work well also, and don't require such a complicated stove, although there is expense in obtaining them, and they give out tremendous heat.

soulbrush said...

haven't got a clue what you're all jabbering on about, but it makes hlarious reading.
are you always so angry bbc?
like the five sexes, and adore my little granddog on your site!