Another Bill.
A few days ago I discovered that a man I know here also has a blog, nice guy. I know him only in a working relationship as he works at the True Value store I have an account at. That’s where I bought my 16 LED lights at. He has become a scooter fan, along with some other fellows around here. I’ll have to get together with them some day and go for a ride with them.
I haven’t started my Honda 150 for a few months now, but spring is coming so there will be some good riding weather ahead. Actually it isn’t bad here now, it’s been a pretty mild winter so far. Anyway, check out the scooter tales at Bill Sommer’s scooting blog. Billy's Scooter Blog We’ve commented to each other on it.
Spotting his blog reminded me of when I was 18, my dad had a service station in Bountiful, Utah that I worked in. I got around on an old Cushman scooter. Back in those days (right or wrong) kids had a lot more freedoms in some ways than they do now, I went everywhere on that scooter on state highways and freeways, and it didn’t go very fast as I recall, maybe 40 miles an hour. A friend and I even took it on a weeks camping trip up in the Uintas.
We spent the last day and night of that trip at my grandmother’s home in Ogden. That was the first time I got drunk and threw up. LOL
Then I traded it in on a used three speed Lambretta, I don’t recall how fast it would go either, but it was a step up from the Chusman. Then dad sold the service station and we moved to Pasco, Washington. My brother and I rode that Lambretta from Pasco to Pinehurst, Idaho and back to visit friends there just before we joined the Navy. Every so often it would heat up and stop running and we had to wait for it to cool down some before going on again.
We spent the nights on the trip sleeping alongside the highway, never even had a blanket or sleeping bag with us, no helmets, not even a drivers license. Just two dumb kids with little money wandering around enjoying a free country. Yup, those really were the good old days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Political Bullshit
i started off with a 90cc suzuki and worked my way up to overpowered death traps. i always looked on scooters with scorn but now i'm dying to get one.
when i retire in a few years, a scooter is high on my list.
They are making some very nice scooters these days, Billy.
You should get one that will do 60 MPH, I think. They can be death traps, but almost everything we do is risky.
The biggest bike I've ever owned is a Honda 500 Shadow, it was one sweet bike but I sold it when I owned my parts house in Utah as I never got the time to ride it.
At 18 I had a few clothes, a pocket knife and a scooter. Those were my worldly possessions. And I was okay with that. I've never been a person that needed a lot.
So where did all this crap come from? I think I will start getting rid of a bunch of stuff.
You're totally dumb!
AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAA
Is that right Ian? What's that make you then?
A vintage vespa or lambretta is my first port of call if my lottery comes in or, even better, my mother shuffles off... ;-)
If your mother shuffles off. LOL
It took me a few seconds before I grasped the meaning. My mother 'shuffled off' and didn't leave me anything.
But I was tired of her crap and asked her not to. My sister got her estate and then she shuffled off.
I'm about the only one of the family that is still shuffling around on this planet.
Maybe my brother, but as long as he stays below my radar I'll let the idiot live. Most likely though, someone has shot him by now.
Wooo... In Texas, a guy might get his ass kicked for being on a scooter instead of a full grown bike ;-)
Love it around Ogden. Just beautiful. Still a big cherry season around that part of the state? Haven't been in a while.
I take it you didn't pick up too many chicks on that there scooter. ha ha
Thanks for visiting my blog buddy.Come back often!
Why is it that everyone can remember the first time they got drunk and threw up? Shouldn't that be one of those memories we forget?
Mine was with Gilbey's Lemon Gin.
Gag.
Thanks for the promo. Everything about riding scooters is about looking back at the "Good old days," and trying to recapture some of those moments.
I got a kick out of Gadfly's comment. I also ride a chopped Harley Davidson that those Texas folks might dig, but it doesn't quite get it when it comes to the feel good factor like a scooter.
Have fun,
Bill
Post a Comment