I’m so stupid
A friend talked me into doing a little touch up painting for him, to get a home ready for sale as they have moved into another one in town. He assured me that it was just a little work. Oh sure, when I got there yesterday it turned into five rooms and some of the ceilings.
Well, no point in whineing about it, I’ll just get them done as soon as possible. Everyone keeps complaining that they can’t find workers, where in the hell is everyone? Off writing books? Doesn’t anyone believe in honest labor and craftsmanship anymore? Why am I constantly turning down work? Aren’t I supposed to be retired? They keep making more people, there should be plenty of workers, has everyone gotten lazy? I see that I have more questions than I have answers.
I was at a meeting about four years ago and a man said that in twenty years a carpenter was going to cost about four hundred dollars an hour, if you could find one. Seems like it will be true, isn’t that interesting?
On advice
It is very difficult to live among people you love and hold back from offering them advice. - Anne Tyler
Some people like my advice so much that they frame it upon the wall instead of using it. - Gordon R. Dickson
There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise. - Gore Vidal
The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right. - Hannah Whitall Smith
Many receive advice, few profit by it. - Publilius Syrus (100 BC)
In giving advice, seek to help, not please, your friend. - Solon (638 BC - 559 BC)
I went to the peace rally at noon yesterday, there where about twenty people there, only twenty, sad isn't it? And many of the people driving by give us the 'fuck you' finger. What a sick country I live in. But at least it's not war torn, yet.
An interesting book
When I was in the library a few days ago I scanned the new books section and noticed "it’s NOT me, it’s YOU" Subtitle "the ultimate BREAKUP book." So of course I checked it out, it’s an interesting book. The authors are Anna Jane Grossman and Flint Wainess. I have some great quotes on breakups but don’t have time to look for them right now.
And I have a great picture of revenge, but I’m not going to post it here. Don’t want pictures taking up my allotted blogger space. It is a picture of what appears to be a lot of folks at an outdoor concert, an airplane is flying overhead trailing a banner that says "Scott Kelly has a small dick." I’m sure you can picture that in your minds.
New World Order
Rose sent me a pdf document with scary information about the New World order some are trying to build. I haven’t read it all yet as it is long.
The problem isn't that a New World order is a bad idea, because it isn't. It's just that it's trying to be done improperly. I have no problem with a one-world government and getting rid of nationalism and patriotism and things like that. But the current New World order they are trying to create is being created by capitalists and idiots that like power. A proper New World order would be done spirituality.
I swiped this story off of the web because I think that it’s worth sharing.
The Wisdom Of Sharing
Stone Soup
There are many variations on the story of stone soup, but they all involve a traveler coming into a town beset by famine. The inhabitants try to discourage the traveler from staying, fearing he wants them to give him food. They tell him in no uncertain terms that there's no food anywhere to be found. The traveler explains that he doesn't need any food and that, in fact, he was planning to make a soup to share with all of them. The villagers watch suspiciously as he builds a fire and fills a cauldron with water. With great ceremony, he pulls a stone from a bag, dropping the stone into the pot of water. He sniffs the brew extravagantly and exclaims how delicious stone soup is. As the villagers begin to show interest, he mentions how good the soup would be with just a little cabbage in it. A villager brings out a cabbage to share. This episode repeats itself until the soup has cabbage, carrots, onions, and beets-indeed, a substantial soup that feeds everyone in the village.
This story addresses the human tendency to hoard in times of deprivation. When resources are scarce, we pull back and put all of our energy into self-preservation. We isolate ourselves and shut out others. As the story of stone soup reveals, in doing so, we often deprive ourselves and everyone else of a feast. This metaphor plays out beyond the realm of food. We hoard ideas, love, and energy, thinking we will be richer if we keep to them to ourselves, when in truth we make the world, and ourselves, poorer whenever we greedily stockpile our reserves. The traveler was able to see that the villagers were holding back, and he had the genius to draw them out and inspire them to give, thus creating a spread that none of them could have created alone.
Are you like one of the villagers, holding back? If you come forward and share your gifts, you will inspire others to do the same. The reward is a banquet that can nourish many.
Ever ask God, or whoever, whatever, why this world is so messed up? What answer might you expect to get back? How about "YOU go about YOUR business of doing MY business or it’s going to stay messed up." BBC
bbc98362 at yahoo.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's so cool-- I was just reading that parable a month or so ago. :) I like your quotes.
Post a Comment