Monday, August 14, 2006

It's Monday

Stupid bumper sticker: What’s our oil doing under their soil?
Interesting bumper sticker: If you’re going to be riding my ass, you had better be pulling my hair.

A man I know sent me a story that he thought should be important to me. But it’s really just one of his little clouds of Buddhist bullshit. First the story, then my reply back to him.

Bill, I ran across this cute story this a.m.:
"A self-important gnat, having raised his family for some years in the ear of an elephant, finally decided to move. Shouting at the top of his tiny lungs, he informed the elephant of what was to him a momentous decision. The elephant, having up to now no knowledge of the gnat's existence, made no reply, not wishing to hurt the feelings of his small and insignificant visitor."

My reply:
The gnat can always move on to where it is recognized and acknowledged and loved, because that is all it wants in the first place. And the elephant can stay lonely because of the lost of what could have been a friend because it thought it was more important than the gnat.... :-) I've learned that, move on, and I've acquired a lot of friends now, more than I have time to visit. BBC

I’m not going too allow a man that walks around everywhere with a black cloud over his head and few friends rain on my parade with his dark Buddhist bullshit.

I had a wonderful week-end, the best week-end I’ve had in some time. Performing the marriage for Bryan and Karma on Saturday and sharing love with others put me in a great frame of mind. Then I spent an hour or so with Char and Rod, he is so funny and we really enjoy being around each other, too bad that he is working out of town all week and we only see each other on week-ends. But maybe that is enough, too much of a good thing may become an old thing.

Yesterday I went to the drags in Forks with Rick and Sharon, it was relaxing and interesting even though I’m not really a drags fan, being an old circle tracker racer. What bothers me about any racing these days is all the pollution.

Here is an interesting news item, and I mostly agree with it. It sure met a lot to the disabled and troubled couple I married on Saturday.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Lonely? Feeling low? Try taking a walk -- down the aisle. Getting married enhances mental health, especially if you're depressed, according to a new U.S. study.
The benefits of marriage for the depressed are particularly dramatic, a finding that surprised the professor-student team behind the study.

"We actually found the opposite of what we expected," said Adrianne Frech, a PhD sociology student at Ohio State University who conducted the study with Kristi Williams, an assistant professor of sociology.

They expected to find that one spouse's depression weighed too much on the marriage, but "just mattering to someone else can help alleviate symptoms of depression," Frech said.

Frech will present their findings at the American Sociological Association's annual meeting in Montreal on Sunday.

The researchers used a 3,066 person sample that measured symptoms of depression -- such as an inability to sleep, or persistent sadness -- in the same people both before and after their first marriage.

They found that depressed people experienced a much more extreme decrease in the incidence of those symptoms.

"Depressed people may be just especially in need of the intimacy, the emotional closeness and the social support that marriage can provide ... if you start out happy, you don't have as far to go," Williams said.

On the other hand, if you're not depressed, marriage could have the opposite effect, Frech said.
People who were happy before getting married and end up in a marriage plagued by distance or conflict -- qualities associated with a depressed spouse -- might be better off single.

"It seems right to say that people who are not depressed are at risk, that if they marry a depressed person this could be a bad deal for them," Frech said.

While that was interesting, and while I do get depressed at times because of many of the stupid things on this planet, and the fact that I haven’t found the right woman, it doesn’t mean that I’m depressed all the time. The right woman would of course put me in a better frame of mind but these gals that are in the Insane Chicks Society just are not going to be able to help me with that.
Have a good day everyone. BBC

No comments: