Friday, February 02, 2007

Teaching you something

In college they will teach you big words and other useless crap you will never use the rest of your life. But I’m going to talk about something that you can find useful all of your life. How to make maybe the best waterproof glue and filler you will ever need, and be able to recycle all that white styrofoam instead of sending it to the landfills.

I’ve mentioned how to make glue with styrofoam before, now I’m including some pictures to make it more visual. When I’m working on projects like the camp trailer that will become my new spiritual retreat, knowing how to do this comes in very handy. No one taught me this, I learned it on my own, inventors do that. I made and used it when I reinforced the rafters in my place as I gutted out and remodeled the place I live in, and recent high winds was not able to tear it apart.

As you can see in the pictures, I made some glue in a little one pound margarine container. I filled it about one third full with gasoline and then melted styrofoam in it until I had my glue. That little amount eats up a lot of styrofoam so have plenty on hand. But I had some wood rot in one place on the trailer on a vertical surface and I wanted to fill it and glue alone is too runny for that, so here is where we go a step further and make a plastic wood. Yes, you can buy plastic wood fillers, but nothing as good as this stuff. And this is cheap to make.

After I made the glue I put about half of it in another container and worked fine sawdust into it. This gives it body and allows you to fill in vertical surfaces. After I dug out the rotten wood I filled the space with the plastic wood, then I cut and installed a new base place plate as the original one was beyond saving. Try to remember this, it is really good stuff, and it may come in handy to you someday.

I took my neighbor, Helen to Rite-Aid yesterday so that she could refill her meds and they had hair clippers on sale for $5.99 so I bought one. I’ve cut my own hair for years so they will come in handy, I will put my battery operated one in the camper. Hugs and all that. BBC

15 comments:

BBC said...

Grrrr. I have a hell of a time getting pictures in the order I want them in Blogger.

I'm with Hammer, I should start moving my blog to another site.

BBC said...

Happiness is getting over wanting one of the women on this planet.

And Bathroom Hippo, shut up you fucking idiot because you don't know what in the hell you are talking about.

Ah, wait, you are an attorney in America, of course you are a fucking idiot.

BBC said...

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

BBC said...

A man, called to testify at the IRS, asked his accountant for advice on what to wear. "Wear your shabbiest clothing. Let him think you are a pauper."

Then he asked his lawyer the same question, but got the opposite advice. "Do not let them intimidate you. Wear your most elegant suit and tie."

Confused, the man went to his rabbi, told him of the conflicting advice, and requested some resolution of the dilemma. "Let me tell you a story," replied the rabbi. "A woman, about to be married, asked her mother what to wear on her wedding night. 'Wear a heavy, long, flannel nightgown that goes right up to your neck.' But when she asked her best friend, she got conflicting advice. 'Wear your most sexy negligee, with a V neck right down to your navel.

The man protested: "What does all this have to do with my problem with the IRS?"

"No matter what you wear, you are going to get screwed."

BBC said...

After hitting record high temperatures earlier this month, New York has now hit a record low. It was 9 degrees in Central Park today. They’re warning New Yorkers now not to leave their middle fingers exposed for more than a couple of seconds."
....
According to the British Journal of Psychiatry, marijuana can cause panic attacks. I don’t know . . . The only time I have ever seen a marijuana user look panicky is when they are out of marijuana.

none said...

Any problem with fumes when using the glue?

I'm thinking keep it away from sparks and stuff would be smart until it dries.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

sounds like a possible formula to make a bomb

Sewmouse said...

Oddly enough, I had similar thoughts to Hammer's (which scares me).

I don't think I'd be one of the brave few to melt styro in gasoline and then spread it on the walls. That sounds like a major explosion just waiting to happen.

Mind you, I have natural gas for cooking, heating and hot water, so I'm always aware of pilot lights and flames.

BBC said...

Hammer... No problem with fumes that I've ever noticed. But I make it outside. Anyone making it inside is risking getting into trouble. I've done fire tests on it and once it dries it's no more flammable than most things.

Cocaine Jesus.... I'm sure you could make interesting bombs with it, but being a peaceful man I've never been interesting in looking into how to do that.

BBC said...

Sewmouse, a lot of building products are very flammable during use. I've used them all my life as a builder.

Making the glue with gas is the most flammable stage. Once it's made it isn't going to ignite unless you put a flame right on it.

And it's not like you have a great amount of it in one place at a time.

While it is true that one cup of gas equals 14 sticks of dynamite, it has to be pretty warm and completely vaporized. It's pretty hard to produce those conditions or Iraq would be leveled by now.

BBC said...

Monkeys are amusing. They fuss about a little gas but get in automobiles with ten gallons in the tank.

Allowing themselves to be a target.

Or use cans of spray paint with no thought. Keep bottles of rubbing alcohol in the bathroom and put it on their bodies.

Keep around a few bottles of booze.

All sorts of things. Anyone afraid of a little gas should hide in a closet. And they should never risk their life in a car.

You all know the figures, how many people a year die in them.

Ha, ha, ha. Silly monkeys.

BBC said...

There is another way to melt styrofoam that you can do useful things with other than just make glue with it.

That is to melt it in oil heated to just over 300 degrees. Boiling water won't melt it.

That does make some fumes, but I don't know how harmful they are. I've done it in a closed room and it didn't effect me.

effect me.

effect me.

effect me.
LOL

Anonymous said...

can you use diesel instead of gas to make the glue?

thanks for the great tips...as a do-it-your-self home owner -- i appreciate

Dr.Alistair said...

great tip bill. too bad it`s about five years too late for my buddy`s columns on the front of his house. fuck, he needed therapy after trying to figure that one out.

home depot is full of all the people who couldn`t make it in contracting, or are too old to remember anymore.

i hate that place. my record for going there in one day;

six.

i used to make wood filler out of fine sawdust and varithane varnish. way better than the shit they sell in the stores.

BBC said...

That is a good way also dr. Just more expensive and doesn't save foam from the landfills.